By Aimee Hancock
Miami Valley Today
COVINGTON — The Covington Exempted Village School District gave commendations during its regular meeting Wednesday to student Devin Williams for being named the Student of the Quarter at Upper Valley Career Center.
Williams is in the UVCC early childhood education and care program.
The board also accepted the retirement resignations of certified employees Karen Brackman, effective June 1, 2021, and Susan Bohlander, effective Oct. 29, 2021. Brackman will retire with 33 years of service, and Bohlander with 26 years.
A motion was passed to approve the payment of $9,976 to Farnham for a custom carrier system to raise and lower stage lights. The Roy Weikert Trust is donating $44,980 for the purchase of new stage lights, cage, start-up and training. Additionally, the Miami County Foundation is donating $9,500 to cover the cost of installation.
The board accepted the following donations:
• $1,000 from Robert L. Brumbaugh for the wrestling program.
• $2,500 from the Optimist Club for the Covington Scholarship Fund (CSF).
• $11,910 from the Felger Fund for the CSF.
• $1,000 from Dean Maxson as a 5 Star donation.
• $200 from Buffalo Wild Wings for the football program.
• $200 from Moore Funeral Home for the CSF.
• $150 from Sherry Moore for the CSF.
• $1,000 from Bowman & Associates for the CSF.
• $50 from Wendy Ciriegio for the CSF.
In other business:
• The board discussed the possibility of the purchase of a new school bus, at a cost of around $94,000, which may be able to come from the second round of CARES Act funds the district is expecting to receive. According to Gooding, two buses in the district’s fleet have needed increased maintenance, with one being in worse shape overall than the other.
• The board approved a list of certified substitutes, classified personnel, and supplemental contracts.
• The board authorized the 2021-2022 membership in the Ohio High School Athletic Association. This is an annual action.
• The board entered into executive session, after which a vote was held, approving the termination of bus driver Shon Schaffer, effective immediately.