Did you know that having regular dental cleanings and living a healthy lifestyle can help prevent gum disease?
You should do the following:
- Lead an active lifestyle by exercising on a regular basis to help reduce inflammation and stress in your body.
- Eating healthy foods that are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids like salmon, sardines, tuna, nuts, and seeds helps your body to fight inflammation.
- Eating a balanced diet of lean proteins, high fiber foods, and fresh produce helps keep your body strong, healthy, and more able to fight infections.
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day to remove plaque on your teeth and gum line.
- Flossing at least two times per day, preferably more, will not only eliminate fermenting food between your teeth, it will decrease bacteria that causes gingivitis and periodontal disease and also help to prevent cavities.
- Have your teeth professionally cleaned twice a year to remove plaque and stain that a toothbrush cannot remove. Your dental professional will also check for gum disease and take x-rays to check for cavities and bone loss.
If you want to avoid developing gum disease, you should avoid consuming too many sugary foods and drinks not only because they cause tooth decay, but they also contribute to the process of developing diabetes, which is a huge contributor to inflammation in the body, which in turn exacerbates the severity of gum disease. You should also avoid smoking and using tobacco products as they can double your risk of developing periodontal disease and increase your chances of developing oral cancer. Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor allowing less blood to flow to the oral tissues thus slows the healing process of your body to fight off infections.
In summary, you can never have teeth that are too clean nor gums that are too healthy.
At Excellence in Dentistry, it is our goal to Make a Difference, One Smile at a Time. Visit our website at www.dentistintroyohio.com or call our office at 937-335-4630 to schedule your next appointment today.