Suspect arrested in stolen box truck incident

BETHEL TOWNSHIP — One person is in custody following an incident involving an allegedly stolen Penske box truck near Dayton on Friday morning.

Johnathon Humble, 33, of Dayton was arrested at a residence on St. Rt. 571 following a nearly half-hour search.

Miami County Sheriff’s Deputies were alerted to a possible stolen vehicle from a business near I-75 and Benchwood Blvd. around 9 a.m.

The truck was reported to be a Penske refrigerated box truck carrying ice cream.

Deputies spotted the vehicle a short time later on State Route 202 near West Charleston. When a deputy attempted to stop the vehicle, the Humble fled southbound on St. Rt. 202. The pursuit was quickly terminated when the Humble reportedly began driving south in the northbound lane of 202, running vehicles off the highway.

Huber Heights Police and the Ohio State Highway Patrol were notified and deputies continued to follow the truck from a distance. Humble continued to drive through the Bethel Township area, sometimes on the roadway and, on at least one occasion, driving off road.

At one point, the Humble got out of the truck and attempted to steal another occupied vehicle. That driver refused to give the vehicle over, forcing the Humble to get back into the Penske truck.

Humble finally pulled into a driveway in the 6700 block of St. Rt. 571 where he allegedly attempted to steal a vehicle from a residence.

Miami County deputies caught up with the Humble before he could make off with another vehicle and made the arrest.

Chief Deputy Steve Lord of the Miami County Sheriff’s Office said that Humble, reported to be a parolee, was transported to a Dayton Area Hospital by Bethel Township medics to be checked out.

He will be turned over to Butler Township Police who are handling the incident.

Captain Tom Wheeler of the Miami County Sheriff’s Office said that in Miami County, Humble is already charged with felony fleeing, trespassing, and attempted theft of a vehicle.

Wheeler said that addition charges related to the incident are still pending, Additional charges from Butler Township are also pending.

There were no injuries reported.