Provided by the Miami County Public Health Department
• Dollar General Store, 9063 S. State Route 201, Tipp City — Hot and cold holding equipment thermometer was missing, located incorrectly, or not easily readable. Observed thermometers missing in reach in coolers.
Non-food contact surfaces of equipment are unclean. Observed a thick layer of milk spill residue on the bottom shelves of both coolers holding milk.
• True North Shell, 1298 S. Dorset Road, Troy — Critical: Quaternary ammonium sanitizing solution at incorrect temperature, concentration, and/or water hardness. Observed sanitizer at less than 200 ppm. Dispensing machine not functioning properly.
Critical: Equipment food-contact surfaces or utensils are unclean. Observed mold growth in ice shoot of pop machine. Facility did not have records indicating the last time the ice machine was taken apart, cleaned and sanitized.
Non-food contact surfaces of equipment are unclean. Observed food residue and build up inside the customer use microwave.
• Buffalo Jack’s, 137 S. High St., Covington — Facility does not have an employee with manager certification in food protection. No Manager’s certification in Food Protection provided and on-site at the time of inspection. New Manager stated one employee is certified but certificate is not on file. New Manager also stated she is working to become level 2, Manager certified.
Critical: Employees are not informed in a verifiable manner of their responsibility to report information about their health. Observed employee health policy on file that was unsigned by employees and also out of date, not including all 13 reportable illnesses in the state of Ohio.
No written procedures for responding to vomiting or diarrheal events. Bodily fluid clean-up procedures shall be kept on-site in response to bodily fluid accidents for proper cleaning and disinfection of potential contamination during such events.
Corrected During Inspection; Critical: Food not properly protected from contamination by separation, packaging, and segregation. Observed raw pork being thawed and stored above RTE foods such as ham and cooked beef in the walk-in cooler. Also observed raw fish being stored below raw pork in the walk-in cooler. Discussed storage order to prevent potential contamination. Storage order issues corrected at the time of inspection.
Corrected During Inspection; Critical; Repeat: TCS foods not being cold held at the proper temperature. Observed cold holding island (both sides) holding food products in the temperature danger zone (46-53F). Discussed cold holding requirements to prevent potential bacterial growth. Items prepped for the day were moved to the walk-in holding 34 degrees F at the time of inspection. Other items that were not prepped for the day voluntarily discarded at the time of inspection.
Corrected During Inspection; Critical: Ready-to-eat, TCS food not properly discarded when required. Observed cooked beef with a date of 6/26 and buffalo chili dated 7-1 in the walk-in cooler. Discussed TCS date marked products shall either be sold, consumed or discarded by the 7th day to prevent growth. Items pulled and voluntarily discarded at the time of inspection.
Repeat: Inadequate equipment available for cooling, heating or holding food. The reach-in prep cooler adjacent to the hot holding unit as well as the side closest to the kitchen entrance was observed holding food between 46 F and 53F. Repair or replace. Cease use of the unit until it is repaired or replaced and the ambient air temperature is holding products 41F or below.
Corrected During Inspection: TCS foods not properly thawed. Observed tilapia thawing under running water greater than 70F. Cook tempered water to ensure fish was being thawed in cold running water less than 70 degrees. Running water re-tempted at 68F at the time of inspection.
Corrected During Inspection: Working food containers not properly labeled. Observed unknown product in walk-in cooler without a label. Manager was unsure what the product was exactly. Manager asked cook and product was properly labeled with common name at the time of inspection.
Outer opening not protected. Back delivery door and front entrance door with inadequate door sweeps allowing sunlight to enter below the base of the door and the door frame. Manager has new door sweeps ordered and just needs to install to prevent outer openings from being unprotected from pest entry.
Repeat: Equipment components are not intact, tight or properly adjusted. In the walk-in freezer, ice build-up was observed on the floor and shelving directly underneath condensing unit. De-ice to prevent a build-up. Cold holding island also observed in disrepair as items were not holding proper temperature at the time of inspection. Manager to contact Barga’s to service unit. Cease use of unit until properly holding TCS food items 41F or below. If cold hold prep unit can no longer hold temperature, then facility must look into replacing this unit.
No sanitizer test kit available. No quat test strips available for QUAT sanitizing solution. Obtain test strips for corresponding sanitizing solution to adequately test concentration.
Repeat: Physical facilities not maintained in good repair. Repair broken floor tiles and cove base tiles as well as ceiling in upstairs storage area.
Repeat: Facility not maintained clean. Observed a build-up of dust, dirt and other debris/residues in mop room on floors and walls behind/underneath the bag-in-the-box, in both walk-in units and behind the grill line in the kitchen. Physical facilities shall be cleaned as often as necessary to prevent a build-up and preclude accumulation.
Floor and wall junctures not properly coved or closed and/or floor drains not provided. Observed severals areas throughout the facility such as outside the walk-in cooler, underneath the drainboard in the warewashing area, behind 2-door reach-in freezer unit, and underneath the food prep sink with cove base tiles either missing, damaged, or jutting up or out from the wall/floor junctures and cove base finish. Repair, replace, or adequately seal so closed and tight-fitting to facilitate adequate cleaning and to prevent areas for harborage for pests.
Floors, walls, and/or ceilings not smooth and easily cleanable. Observed missing ceiling tiles in mop room. Please replace so ceiling is smooth and easily cleanable.
Unnecessary or nonfunctional items and /or litter on premises. Upstairs area still remains cluttered. Remove unnecessary items from the premises and organize upstairs area by time frame from previous consultation report.
Existing physical facilities and equipment constitute a public health hazard. Cold holding unit for storing time/temperature controlled for safety foods repeatedly not holding appropriate temperature on multiple standard inspections. Repair or replace unit to ensure a public health hazard in no longer being constituted.
• JJ’s Lunchbox, 810 S. Market St., Troy — No soap at handwashing sink(s). Soap dispenser had been removed/fallen from the wall by the handwashing sink across from deli case. Please repair or replace. Soap made available for hand washing at the time of inspection.
Corrected During Inspection; Critical: Food not properly protected from contamination by separation, packaging, and segregation. Observed ham in the walk-in cooler stored unwrapped and uncovered. Keep all food items covered and protected in the walk-in cooler to prevent potential contamination from occuring.
Corrected During Inspection; Critical; Repeat: Refrigerated, ready-to-eat, TCS foods not properly date marked. Observed refried beans in reach-in pizza/sandwich prep unit without a date. PIC stated beans had been opened the day before. Item properly date marked at the time of inspection.
Outer opening not protected. Garage door to warehouse area was observed to be open during the time of inpection. Facility was not receiving a delivery of any kind. Keep garage door closed to prevent any entry of pests.
Repeat: Cutting blocks or boards cannot be effectively cleaned and sanitized. Observed pizza prep cutting block to be severely scratched and scored. Discussed resurfacing, replacing, or utilizing other side so cutting block can be effectively cleaned and sanitized.
Non-food contact surfaces of equipment are unclean. Observed left side of pizza oven with a build-up of oil and grease from the fryers. Ensure non-food contacts surfaces are kept clean to sight and touch.
Floors, walls, and/or ceilings not smooth and easily cleanable. Observed a few missing ceiling tiles above pizza prep area as well as damaged/dirty ceiling tiles in the back kitchen prep area above the beer/beverage cooler entrance. PIC stated new ceiling tiles are being installed in entire facility in early August. Facilty plans to completely shutdown for this renovation.
Ventilation system not maintained clean. Filters to all hood ventilation systems are due to be cleaned. PIC stated facility is due for monthly service.
• RedBerry, 914 N. Market St., Troy — Corrected During Inspection; Critical: TCS foods not being cold held at the proper temperature. Observed TCS food items such as “refrigerate after opening” sauces, heavy cream and cut leafy green mixture in containers in an ice bath next to tea dispensers. Also, observed butter sitting out at room temperature for more than 4 hours. Items in ice bath were quick chilled and butter was voluntarily discarded at the time of inspection.
Corrected During Inspection; Critical: TCS foods not being cold held at the proper temperature. Observed ham, sausage and prepped tomatoes in the cold hold unit on the main prep line holding between 46-53F. Kitchen manager stated ham and sausage had been prepped and placed in unit around 6 am. Items were pulled around 9am and quick chill was performed. Items re-tempted at 38F within the hour. Tomatoes, according to PIC, were prepped and in unit since 5 am. Tomatoes voluntarily discarded.
Irreversible registering temperature indicator not readily accessible for hot water mechanical warewashing operations. No heat strips available for testing utensil surface temperature of utensils for proper/adequate heat disinfection on high temp dish machine. Kitchen manager stated he will order a warewashing thermometer for testing surface utensil temp.
No sanitizer test kit available. Observed no test strips on-site for testing bar area 3-compartment sink sanitizing solution. Contact manufacturer to obtain corresponding test strips. In the meantime, facility will use QUAT based sanitizing solution with corresponding test strips to test concentration of sanitizing solution for disinfection of food contact surfaces of equipment and utensils.
• The Trojan Horse, 1469 S. County Road 25A, Troy — Facility does not have an employee with manager certification in food protection. No manager’s certification in food protection on-site. Facility has been in communication with OSU extension (Miami County) and will be taking examination as test begins being offered.
Employee eating, drinking, or using tobacco in non-designated area. Observed open employee beverage on prep table. Ensure employees are eating, drinking and using tobacco in designated areas during hours of operation.
Cooking and/or baking equipment not cleaned when required. Observed pizza conveyor oven belt and underneath surface tray with build-up of grease deposits, food debris and other residues. Facility is contracting with company for a monthly service for conveyor oven to be cleaned to prevent excessive build-up from occuring.
• Dollar Tree, 1885 W. Main St., Troy — Repeat: Facility does not have an employee with manager certification in food protection. At time of inspection, no one had food safety training certificate.
• Dollar General, 136 S. Miami Ave., Bradford — Non-food contact surfaces of equipment are unclean. Observed unclean door gaskets on back reach in cooler. Clean to remove food residue.
Accumulation of refuse, recyclables, or returnables. Observed accumulation of refuse in back enclosure. Remove all trash.
• The Rolling Oasis Hop Off, 251 Union St., Troy — Corrected During Inspection; Critical: Food not properly protected from contamination by separation, packaging, and segregation. Observed eggs being stored above various RTE sauces in the reach-in cold hold prep unit across from grill line. Discussed proper storage order to prevent potential contamination. PIC corrected storage order issue at the time of inspection.
Corrected During Inspection: Utensils and equipment contacting non-TCS foods not cleaned at requried frequency. Observed build-up in dispensers of pop machine when nozzles were removed. Discussed cleaning as often as necessary to prevent a build-up. Also discussed cleaning techniques to facilitate proper cleaning/sanitation of the hard to reach food contact surfaces. PIC instructed food employee to clean at the time of inspection.
Critical: Improper reheating of food for hot holding. Observed chili reheating on the grill top tempted to be 109 degrees F. PIC stated chili had been reheating for about 1 hr. Discussed chili must be reheated to 165F for 15 seconds within 2 hours or must be discarded.
Unapproved pest control device being used in Food Service Operation. Observed residential ant baits stored throughout the facility. Discussed with PIC that pest control application may only be done by a commercial and licensed pest control applicator.
Observed single use spoon stored in container holding spice with handle directly contacting the spices. Discussed handle shall be kept up and out of the food item to protect against potential contamination or not in the food item at all.
Re-use of single-service or single-use articles. Observed housemade tzatziki sauce stored in single use sour cream container in single door reach in cooler. Discussed single-use/service items shall not be reused. Food grade containers shall be used for properly storing food items.
Improperly cleaned storage area for refuse, recyclables, or returnables. Observed refuse and grease receptable storage area needing a deep thorough powerwashing at the time of inspection. Outside refuse area shall be cleaned as often as necessary to preclude accumulation and to prevent a potential harborage area for pests.
• Walgreens, 20 W. Market St., Troy — No violations were documented at the time of inspection.
• DJ Pizza Alley, 18 S. Second St., Tipp City — Repeat: Cooking and/or baking equipment not cleaned when required. Observed pizza conveyor oven with a severe build-up of grease deposits and other debris. Discussed ample cleaning frequency with PIC to prevent a build-up and preclude accumluation of cooking equipment.
Repeat: Floor and wall junctures not properly coved or closed and/or floor drains not provided. Observed cove base outside of employee restroom coming loose from the floor/wall juncture. Cove base shall be properly coved to facilitate adequate cleaning and to prevent areas for pest harborage. Please repair of replace.
Repeat: Facility not maintained clean. Observed severe build up on floors and walls behind and underneath equipment in the back kitchen area as well as behind the pizza conveyor oven. Physical facilities shall be cleaned as often as necessary to prevent a build-up and to preclude accumulation.
• Grandpa Joe’s Candy Shop, 1 E. Main St., Troy — No violations were documented the time of inspection.
• 322 Market Street Enterprises Inc., 322 W. Market St., Troy — Critical; Repeat: Employees are not informed in a verifiable manner of their responsibility to report information about their health. No health policy able to be provided by PIC at the time of inspection. Please print email of health policy sent and keep on file to ensure all employees are informed in a verifiable manner their means of reporting conditions pertaining to their health.
Repeat: No written procedures for responding to vomiting or diarrheal events. Print email sent of bodily fluid clean-up procedures and keep on file for all future inspections.
Presence of dead pests or insects. Observed dead bugs near the corners of the walk-in beer cooler as well as in the back room where the 3-comptment sink is located. Remove presence issues and clean facility more frequently.
Outer opening not protected. Side delivery door observed with an inadequate door sweep allowing sunlight to enter beneath the bottom of the door and door frame. Repair or replace to prevent the entry of pests.
Repeat: No sanitizer test kit available. No test strips for sanitizing solution for the cleaning and sanitizing of food contact surfaces of equipment and utensils able to be provided by PIC at the time of inspection. Obtain test strips for bleach sanitizing solution to properly test the accuracy in parts per million (ppm) the concentration of the EPA-approved sanitizer being used in the RFE.
Warewashing equipment and/or components not cleaned at required frequency. Observed 3-comp sink fixtures needing cleaned and also being used to store unnecessary items. Please remove items and clean 3-comp sink so it maintained clean and accessible for use as required in the RFE.
Non-food contact surface(s) not cleaned at the required frequency. Observed cabinet beneath Cappuchino machine with a build-up of debris. Clean as often as necessary to prevent a build-up on non-food contact surfaces of equipment.
Plumbing system not properly maintained. Observed floor sink to 3-comp sink holding excessive water at the time of inspection. Ensure 3-comp’s floor drain is properly draining. Also, ensure 3-comp floor drain is being cleaned to prevent a harborage conditions for pests.
Water treatment device or backflow preventer not inspected/serviced with documentation as required. Observed building backflow last certified in 2018. Contact plumbing company to have building backflow certified (annually).
Accumulation of refuse, recyclables, or returnables. Observed facility dumpster/refuse area to be at full capacity at the time of inspection. Remove refuse at a frequent enough basis to prevent an overflow and to prevent harborage conditions for pests.
• Speedway, 818 N. Market St., Troy — Repeat: Equipment components are not intact, tight or properly adjusted. Observed upright reach in cooler by the check out counter in disrepair. Observed bottom vent cover falling off unit at time of inspection.
Repeat: Non-food contact surfaces of equipment are unclean. Observed food debris inside of reach in freezer underneath oven and upright reach in freezer by checkout counter. Increase cleaning frequency to prevent build up of food debris.
Repeat: Facility not maintained clean. Observed syrup from bag n box soda storage on the floor in the back room. Observed syrup on the floor, soda lines, and wall. Increase cleaning frequency of soda storage area.
• Pizza Hut, 1480 W. Main St., Troy — Non-food contact surfaces of equipment are unclean. Observed food residue and build up on the outside of the dish machine.
Facility not maintained clean. Observed wire shelving holding clean dishes and utensils has food residue and build up on the top and bottom surfaces.
Facility not maintained clean. Observed food build up and residue behind and underneath fixed equipment. Increase cleaning frequency.