PIQUA — A Sunday afternoon house fire caused heavy damage on Riverside Drive.
Firefighters were called to the 400 block of Riverside Drive around 5 p.m. on a report of a kitchen fire.
Piqua police units arriving on the scene reported smoke and flames showing from the kitchen at the rear of the single-family home and that the occupants were evacuated.
Piqua Fire Department units quickly accessed the fire and issued an “all call” as well as requesting a second alarm.
Responding with Piqua to the scene were Covington and Fletcher Fire Departments. Meanwhile, the Lockington Fire Department manned the Piqua Fire Station.
Assistant Chief Paul Brown said that the fire was quickly knocked down. Brown said that the majority of fire damage was confined to the kitchen area but there was some extension into the upstairs of the tw0-story frame home.
Due to heat conditions, firefighters were rotated in their tasks so as to not become overheated.
Brown said that the cause of the fire is listed as a “cooking fire” from food on the stove.
The lone occupant of the home was transported by Piqua Fire Department medics for treatment of minor injuries sustained in the fire.
Brown said that damage to the home and contents is extensive.
Fire units cleared the scene around 8 p.m.