COVID-19 death reported in county

By Melody Vallieu

Miami Valley Today

MIAMI COUNTY — The county has recorded the first coronavirus death since the end of June.

According to Miami County Public Health’s (MCPH) Vicky Knisley-Henry, no more information is currently available about the victim who recently died from coronavirus. She said more information would be likely be available likely on Wednesday.

Knisley-Henry said the cases in the county also continue to rise, with 27 new cases reported since Friday, July 17.

“The numbers are still rising,” Knisley-Henry said.

There have been 65 total hospitalizations in the county and 434 county residents who are presumed recovered from COVID-19, according to the Ohio Department of Health (ODH).

The Piqua Health Department also is seeing COVID-19 numbers go up within the city.

“We are seeing an increase in the number of cases. Last week we had nine Piqua residents test positive for the virus. Previously, we were averaging about two cases per week,” said city of Piqua Director of Health & Sanitation Amy Welker.

The city of Piqua, which has its own health department, has recorded 52 total cases, which also are included in the county’s total of 588. One of the county’s total deaths has been a Piqua resident.

Knisley-Henry said MCPH continues to investigate new COVID-19 cases in the county.

“We do have contact tracers that continue to work on investigating new cases that are reported,” Knisley-Henry said.

The county is currently is at Orange level, or Risk Level 2, on the Ohio COVID-19 Risk Level guidelines for the pubic, according to Miami County Public Health (MCPH). This risk level means there is increased exposure and spread and residents should exercise a high degree of caution. Residents are also directed to follow all current health orders, according to the Centers for Disease Control guidance.

The county is one indicator away from Risk Level 3, or Red, which requires a public mask mandate.

There are 77,215 total cases in Ohio and 3,219 total deaths reported in the state to date.

A press conference with Gov. Mike DeWine, with possible updates on the COVID-19 pandemic, scheduled for Tuesday was canceled.