Troy man charged with assaulting officer

TROY — A Troy man was charged felony assault of a police officer following a foot chase through the Stonyridge neighborhood in the early morning hours Wednesday, June 24.

Brandon Miller, 29, remains incarcerated in the Miami County Jail. Miller was arraigned on charges of fourth-degree felony assault of a peace officer, fifth-degree felony obstructing official business, resisting arrest and disorderly conduct. His bond was set for $50,000 on all charges.

Around 2:45 a.m., police officers responded to the 1400 block of Hunters Court on a 9-1-1 report of two male subjects standing in front of a home on a dead-end street. The reporting party said it looked as if they were drinking out of a large can near his vehicles. The reporting party said they took off once his dog was let outside in the backyard and started barking.

Officer Eric Kilbourne responded to the area and found two male subjects matching the reporting party’s description. One male, dressed in all black, took off running northbound.

The other male subject, Miller, stayed at the scene. Miller did not provide the name of the subject that ran and failed to comply with Kilbourne’s questions. Kilbourne stated in the report that Miller appeared to be highly intoxicated due to his speech and was unsteady on his feet.

Miller then reportedly walked backwards away from Kilbourne, stating he did nothing wrong. As Kilbourne reached to secure his hands, Miller pulled away and began walking in circles. According to the police report, Kilbourne stated, “It appeared Brandon was going to run or attack me by his mannerisms.” The report also indicated Kilbourne was unaware of the other subject’s whereabouts or would return to the scene.

Reports state Miller got on one knee, but failed to comply with orders to lay flat on the ground and put his hands behind his back.

Miller reportedly jumped up and took off running on foot as Kilbourne gave chase. Miller reportedly attempted to strike Kilbourne with a closed fist, but missed. Miller then attempted to run in a backyard of a home but was blocked by a fence and fell. Kilbourne deployed the Taser, which struck Miller, who continued to run and pull the probes out. Miller then fell into a mailbox post and was tased again. Miller then reportedly continued to fight with Kilbourne until other officers arrived at the scene who helped detain him. Miller was transported by medics to Upper Valley Medical Center where he continued to be combative with medics, screaming obscenities and kicking at them during transport.

He was then incarcerated after being cleared by medical officials. Officers were able to identify Miller by previous arrest information provided by jail staff. Kilbourne was also treated at Upper Valley Medical Center for a cut on the hand and other minor injuries.

According to court records, Miller was previously arrested for resisting arrest in November 2016 by Piqua Police Department and in May 2017 by Troy Police Department. Both charges were amended to disorderly conduct.

A preliminary hearing was set for July 2 in Miami County Municipal Court.