Miami County, local municipalities, townships to receive $3.7M in federal funding

MIAMI COUNTY — The Miami County Commissioners established new funds this week to help them distribute federal funds to local municipalities and townships from the CARES Act and Ohio House Bill 481.

According to the Miami County Auditor’s Office, the allocation of funds Miami County will be receiving from the CARES Act and House Bill 481 is $3,792,352.60. This amount will be distributed between Miami County, townships, and municipalities provided they have a resolution establishing protocols filed with Miami County Auditor Matthew Gearhardt.

On Thursday, the commissioners approved establishing a County Coronavirus Relief Distribution Fund and a Local Coronavirus Relief Fund, as requested by the auditor’s office. The County Coronavirus Relief Distribution Fund will be used to deposit and distribute funds to local townships and municipalities for coronavirus relief funding as prescribed in the CARES Act and House Bill 481, and the Local Coronavirus Relief Fund will be used by the county to pay for COVID-19 related expenses such as PPE, sanitation, medical testing, and so on.

The county is also applying for public assistance funding from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. According to Miami County EMA Director Joel Smith, the county is also applying for public assistance for $114,000 spent in response to the pandemic. The county could receive 75 percent of that $114,000, if that entire amount is approved, and then the county is looking at utilizing CARES Act funds to fund to the other 25 percent. Smith estimated approximately $60,000 of the expenses included in that $114,000 figure might not get approved for FEMA public assistance funding.